Ellery Newcomer wrote:
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Yigal Chripun" <yigal...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:he6sqe$1dq...@digitalmars.com...
Based on recent discussions on the NG a few features were deprecated/removed from D, such as typedef and C style struct initializers.

IMO this cleanup and polish is important and all successful languages do such cleanup for major releases (Python and Ruby come to mind). I'm glad to see that D follows in those footsteps instead of accumulating craft like C++ does.

As part of this trend of cleaning up D before the release of D2, what other features/craft should be removed/deprecated?

I suggest reverse_foreach and c style function pointers

please add your candidates for removal.

s/reverse_foreach/foreach_reverse/ ;)

1. Floating point literals without digits on *both* sides!!! "1.", ".1" --> Useless hindrance to future language expansion!

2. Octal literals! I think it'd be great to have a new octal syntax, or even better, a general any-positive-inter-base syntax. But until that finally happens, I don't want "010 == 8" preserved. And I don't think the ability to have an octal literal is important enough that lacking it for a while is a problem. And if porting-from-C really has to be an issue, then just make 0[0-9_]+ an error for a transitionary period (or forever - it'd at least be better than maintaining "010 == 8").

3. Also the comma operator, but that's already been recently discussed.

<bikeshed>

hex literal prefix: 0x, not 0h
=>
octal literal prefix: 0c, not 0o

</bikeshed>

This I'm on board with. 0o is too much like a practical joke.