On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 at 02:42:46 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 at 21:44:43 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
But I think leaving the definition of the index up to the range itself is paramount -- I don't want every range to be able to have a size_t index, as that's not always what you want, and it conflicts with other items. What we may need is a smarter way to get from the type parameters at the front of the foreach to an iterable type.

That's why I mentioned random access ranges, as in that case we can sidestep this discussion; since foreach understands input ranges, why can't foreach understand random access ones, and iterate them as if they were slices, including maintaining a foreach-generated index? That is, it would have nothing to do with tuple unpacking. Plus, it would work transparently in the cases you replace `slice` with `slice.algorithm`, where algorithm maintains random-access. Instead of having to add .enumerate in each place the slice (now a range) is iterated, it would just work.

Hmm, I suppose that even if we have all of the good stuff of length, opIndex, opSlice, etc., we can't assume the indices are [0..length], right? But there should be some way for, say, map to preserve that information from the slice, the same way random access is preserved.