On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 at 08:48:05 UTC, Dan Walmsley wrote:

How about creating a fork and calling it "SystemD or EmbeddedD" just 1 compiler (LDC probably), do you think its realistic idea?

It would take a very dedicated and talented individual, or a small team of talent to do that. I'm not that individual, and there doesn't seem to be much interest from the D community to pull it off, IMO.

I was so hopeful for D when I saw how nice the syntax is, I saw rust and I didn't get the same feeling, not that I wont give it a chance, I just feel as you know embedded systems is dominated by C and C++ and D seems closer to those than Rust.

I had the same initial reaction to Rust, and still do to some extent. Rust does not have the modeling power and efficient code reuse that D does. D allows you to write code the way you think about it. Rust requires you to change the way you think about your code. But D requires too many silly hacks and compromises just to get a build that works. Rust allows you to incrementally build up your system (pay-as-you-go) without any nonsense.

Despite my criticism, I think D has much more potential than Rust, I just don't think it will ever be realized without a fork.

To be fair I was impressed with the -betterC flag and that actually looks nice I you just want a C replacement but no classes, etc.

If -betterC were ever fully implemented it would indeed be a "Better C", but it would also be a "Worse D" and I'd be forever disappointed that I couldn't individually pay for the features I wanted.

I have not been able to get even a minimal project to compile when a class is introduced

`Error: Missing class declaration: TypeInfo_AssociativeArray`

Stick with only structs until you get it working, then you can tackle classes.

Will take a look at rust, but would be keen to know if you could be motivated by the SystemD / EmbeddedD idea?

It would be a huge tangent from what I really want to do and would require a different skill set than what I currently possess. While I'm confident that I could acquire the necessary skills to pull it off, I only have the resources to contribute to such an endeavor on a part-time basis. It's not something I can do right now.

I want to program machines that interface with the physical world. I don't really want to have to build my own custom toolchain to do it (But I wouldn't mind contributing to one). Rust is also slowly improving, and if some of their RFCs ever get implemented, it will obtain much more modeling power like D. That's where I'm placing my bets at the moment.

Mike