On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 10:05:29 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
So I will be doing a workshop on programming for the biology department at my university and I was wondering what would best suit the users.

The following are a must:
support windows & mac ( the more consistent between the two the better)
    free
no large install footprint, preferably simple install procedure (running on laptops)
    syntax highlighting
    straightforward to use

anything else is a bonus.

Whats your experience with what you use?

Many thanks
Nic

Those all apply to Geany. It's much like Notepad++ but crossplatform.

I'm sure there are other good options too. The problem with geany is that it's syntax highlighting and auto-completion depend on having the file where the symbol's defined open. But that's because it's primarily a lightweight editor, not so much an IDE. It has some ide features, but I am not using them and don't know whether you can could solve these by creating a geny project.