On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 at 08:35:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 10/10/2017 3:16 PM, sarn wrote:
Works even better in D because it can run at compile time.

Yes, I see no need for a language feature what can be easily and far more flexibly done with a regular function - especially since what |q{ and -q{ do gives no clue from the syntax.

You are right. My mind is just still not used to the power of D templates so I didn't think of this. On the other hand that is why D is still making me say "WOW!" on a regular basis :).

Just to confirm I understand, for example the following would give me compile time stripping of white space:

template stripws(string l) {
    enum stripws = l.replaceAll(regex("\s+", "g"), " ");
}

string variable = stripws(q{
   whatever and    ever;
});

And I would get variable to be equal to " whatever and ever; ". Right?