On Thursday, 26 October 2017 at 16:34:54 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

One little trick in the wiki is that it says that you can uncheck boxes to reduce the size/time of the download. It might be helpful to know the minimum required to get D working and the minimum required to get Visual D working.

The Visual C++ install is all that it's needed. I'll update the wiki tomorrow after I verify the options on my desktop.

It also lists an alternative to install the Microsoft build tools and an appropriate version of the Windows SDK. LDC also refers to the Visual C++ build tools, but does not reference the SDK. I think the VS build tools replace the Visual C++ tools. The VS build tools look like they have an option to install the SDK and other stuff too.

I have the 2015 tools via the VS 2017 installer (it's an option), but I can't recall ever running the build tools installer directly. If anyone can verify and update the wiki, that would be great.