On Friday, 27 October 2017 at 01:40:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
The problem is that to reasonably interact with the rest of the Windows C/C++ ecosystem, you're pretty much stuck using Microsoft's linker. If we can get that without pulling in all of VS, all the better, but without the linker, we can't link with most existing C/C++ code, which is a big problem.

How so? curl is an import library for libcurl.dll, mingw handles import libraries just fine, same for zlib and mxWidgets. But most of the time you only need to link phobos and some code from dub and that's all.