On 03.11.2017 10:40, Walter Bright wrote:
I thought that that was just when explicitly loading a .dll or .so file via
something like dlopen or LoadLibrary instead of linking against it,

That's right.

But given our resource limitations, I suggest the most pragmatic thing to do is support the latest FreeBSD, and leave older versions enabled in Druntime with `version` statements. That way the user could recompile Phobos for earlier versions if he needed it, but it wouldn't be officially supported.

Note that dmd still runs on Windows XP, though it is not officially supported. You just need to be careful about using TLS variables on it :-(

to avoid spreading this false information: TLS in D works in dynamically loaded DLLs on WinXP since 2010.