On Sunday, 24 December 2017 at 22:21:28 UTC, Tony wrote:
On Sunday, 24 December 2017 at 22:04:00 UTC, Dan Partelly wrote:

1995. A dark year. Two of the crappiest language ever devised by man arrived. Both gained traction. Java, through marketing. PhP though tribalism.

What makes Java a "crappy" language?

It starts with "everything must be a class". An die hard OOP language with little support for anything else. And to put it in the words of the great Alex Stepanov:

Yes. STL is not object oriented. I think that object orientedness is almost as much of a hoax as Artificial Intelligence. I have yet to see an interesting piece of code that comes from these OO people. [1]

The second big issue this language caused is social in nature - the intellectual eclipse in schools and the programmers it created. See "The Perils of Java schools"[2].

It beget some horrific software, bloated to hell. I recall seeing desktop financial apps which spawned web servers on desktop and had the UI in browser. Starting slow, big, the Java mentality beget those horrors. You could see Wirth's law [3] in every almost every program.

[1] http://www.stlport.org/resources/StepanovUSA.html
[2] https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2005/12/29/the-perils-of-javaschools-2/
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law