On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 13:37:17 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 10:10:03 UTC, Pawn wrote:
It's been expressed that there are now too many codebases such that introducing "breaking changes" would upset many people and companies. D is a mature language, not a young one.

Just make it opt in at the module level and have the opposite attributes added. I suggest:

@strict module foo;

And that little @strict (or whatever name) thing indicates you want newer stuff for the entire module.

No breakage, no community split, very little hassle. Javascript has had a fair amount of success with opt in stuff like this.

Well, to advance the language, I think we need to start breaking some egss, but, we also need a magic wand.

Scott Meyers makes the case well, for C++.

http://scottmeyers.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/breaking-all-eggs-in-c.html

Someone needs to make the case for D too.