On Saturday, 30 December 2017 at 16:59:41 UTC, aberba wrote:
In this video[1] from 2016, developer talks about C++ memory safety features, meta-programming, maturity and few others as main reasons they choose it for developing their blockchain software (the way I got it from a quick view).

Besides, D maturity (which I can't confirm or deny), what else does D miss to be considered a better alternative for blockchain in 2018?

D is also more productive, has safety and unittest built-in.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4jq4frE5v4

The better question is whether blockchain is worth implementing in D? ;) It wastes a ton of energy with the most common proof-of-work approach and, as I've pointed out here before, there are better ways to do it:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/bitcoins-insane-energy-consumption-explained/
http://forum.dlang.org/post/xzuzvykrqouqlsjmk...@forum.dlang.org

But some decentralized approach, if not blockchain, is undoubtedly going to be a huge winner, and of course D would be a great language with which to build it. The lead developer of Bitcoin Cash, currently the fourth-most valuable cryptocurrency (https://coinmarketcap.com), gave a talk on doing crypto in D at the last DConf:

http://dconf.org/2017/talks/sechet.html

I don't think he's using D since they forked the Bitcoin source though.