On Monday, 12 February 2018 at 23:54:29 UTC, Arun Chandrasekaran wrote:
Sorry if I'm hurting someone's sentiment, but is it just me who is seeing so much negative trend in the D forum about D itself? I don't remember seeing so much negative about Rust on rust forum and so on. Do you think it will help in reminding people not to post any negative things? It shouldn't become strict moderation, but at the same time, I really don't like seeing so much negative trend. I would even go to the extent and suggest to email Walter/Andrei in person (even if they don't agree) to vent your frustration with D, but please don't post it on the forum.

Several structural reasons for negativity (I'll be negative myself saying all that):

- It's an internet forum - and an addictive one - so each message has a bit of social standing at stake. Strong talk is thus mechanically encouraged, makes you appear strong and knowledgeable, like a big meeting room. It's common for internet forums to devolve into negativity.

- Because we don't ban people from the forums, some individuals that don't use D and have zero skin in the game come here to spread negativity at every occasion.

If you delve into the smaller D communitites they aren't especially negative, on the contrary. The forums are not the D community at large, it's an addictive subset of it. If the forums were _worse_ to use, we wouldn't have this problem.