On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 at 21:20:22 UTC, Henrik wrote:

I have worked with C in embedded systems for many years now, and for our modern Linux systems we are using a combination of C and Java today. Java for parts where memory safety is more important than speed/determinism, and C for the critical real time parts. There should exist a language between these worlds, where we can achieve memory safety at relatively small costs. C++ is not really an alternative, and D looks much more pleasant for us C programmers than for example Rust.

D is the perfect fit for your description. Converting java to D can be surprisingly easy, unless one used a lot of libraries which are quite different. As for C, I'm of the opinion that D is much more respectful of its C heritage than even C++ is.