On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 at 18:43:54 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

This reminds me of Nick Sabalausky's rant once that back in the 80's we used to run programs on 64KB RAM and 8kHz CPUs, and lived with the slow performance, and nowadays we have GB's of RAM and multicore GHz CPUs, and we are finally able to write web apps that do basically the same things with about the same slow performance as in the 80's (but with many orders of magnitude greater resource consumption). Software has come a long ways indeed.</sarcasm> :-D

https://www.artima.com/cppsource/how_to_go_slow.html