On Saturday, 9 June 2018 at 02:17:18 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Saturday, 9 June 2018 at 02:13:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
But it was never enforced, meaning that suddenly enforcing it is just going to break code left and right.

It isn't going to break anything. It is going to *correctly diagnose already broken code*.

That's a significant difference. Real world D users don't like broken code, but they DO like the compiler catching new bugs that slipped by before.

I agree. I would rather my potentially broken code be pointed out to me rather than removing the much more concise `in` from my code. In any case, I feel as though the concept of both `in` and `out` should be fairly intuitive. `in` would be a read-only reference (C# has received this recently), and `out` is a reference with the intention to write.