On Monday, 30 July 2018 at 19:51:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 7/30/2018 6:45 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
On Friday, 27 July 2018 at 22:50:20 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 7/27/2018 10:28 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
But all I'm trying to do here is tell the D compiler how to mangle symbols.

Namespaces have semantic implications, too, such as overload resolutions. A namespace introduces a new scope, not just a mangling.

Should they, though?

They do in C++. That was the whole point of adding namespaces:

C:    void ns_foo();
C++:  namespace ns { void foo(); }

I meant "should they in D, though?". I don't want to import C++ semantics into D. I want D to correctly mangle C++ namespaced functions and change nothing at all about overload resolution in D.

Structs aren't namespaces, I wouldn't expect them to behave the same.

From a language perspective, they are namespaces.

Technically, yes. But not C++ namespaces.

C++ has a lot of bizarre name lookup behavior.

It does. I don't think anyone is suggesting we copy it.

I didn't know about this and it makes things better, but it's not a real solution to my problem.

See my other post doing this same thing with structs.

It's not the same - if I want to link to std::vector and std::string, I'd expect them to be used in D as std.vector and std.string, not std.vector and HackyDThing0.std.string.

I'm arguing that reopening should be allowed.

As detailed in another post, this opens a whole host of other problems. Even in C++, what names are visible in a namespace at any particular point in the compilation is a nebulous concept. (It is actually carefully specified, but you have to be a language lawyer / compiler implementer to know what they are - to the user it is erratic, random, and nebulous.)

Right, but D doesn't have to do any of that - as far as D is concerned it's just mangling. Well, as far as the typical D user that writes `extern(C++)` anyway.