On Sunday, 16 September 2018 at 17:33:27 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
As precedent, we do have -transition=intpromote, which disables the requirement for casting smaller integers to int first.

And -dip1000. Maybe it would be nice to have a generic -future=[changeid] flag.

I'd like it if these features could be implemented orthogonally enough that we could opt in on a per-module basis and have the same compiler compatible with a much wider range of code. That would be a fair bit of work.

Hm... another option is to have a switch identify "useless" casts once the deprecation period is over. Or add it into dfix.

Adding it to dfix would be nice, but dfix isn't official or distributed with dmd by default.

Also, dfix uses libdparse internally, which is insufficient for handling this type of analysis. libdparse parses code, but this requires figuring out which overloads would be called.