There will always be inherent differences between platforms, because they are wildly different.

Right.

Technically the PS2 console, the GameCube and the Xbox console were very different from each other, so I had no choice but to implement low-level abstraction function (GetPhysicalPath() etc) to make the file system classes work similarly across all four systems.

That wasn't an easy task, but it made the life so much easier for the game programmers that it was obvious this was "the right thing" to do.

The fact that D's standard library has already bitten me several time with its platform specific problem clearly shows that you have chosen another path.

That's your right, but don't expect those who develop cross-platform tools in D to be happy to HAVE to put ugly "version ( ... )" stuff in their code when their software suddenly break on some platforms for unknown (= undocumented) reasons...