On Friday, 21 September 2018 at 07:19:41 UTC, mate wrote:

Reproducible builds are out too, as the produced object file is no longer purely a function of the source code and compiler version.

It depends on the developer not doing anything stupid in the build instructions, be it compiler-executed or not. Doesn’t it?

I realize that with build instructions written in unrestricted language it is easier to create a dependency on something else than the compiler, such as the OS. Maybe they plan to solve this problem with appropriate facilities and discipline.

With standard build systems, the produced object file can depend on some specific state of the OS too (I think there were Windows updates influencing how VisualStudio was producing object files).