On 01/14/2010 03:19 PM, retard wrote:
To conclude this discussion, it seems that executable size could be
reduced dramatically. Unfortunately the compiler fails to use the
opportunity in almost all cases.

A typical program would be 50% to 99.999% smaller if the libraries
(including stdlib) were dynamically linked in, compiler omitted gc when
it's not needed, and the extra type info would be eliminated - completely
when no runtime reflection is used at all. Walter doesn't see this as a
large problem, at least not worth fixing now so we got to get used to
executables 100x larger than they need to be. Kthxbai

A minor correction: Walter does not see this as a priority for *him* worth postponing other tasks for at *this* moment. That's not entirely unreasonable considering current goals, no?

If anybody would step in and solve the problem I'm sure he would integrate it in dmd.