On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:59:39 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Great ideas do not come from silence.

Agreed. In particular, "good" silence creates the issue that a small vocal group can make their opinion appear much more consensual than it really is. I recall the case with @property: it seemed like everybody and their dog was p...@property, but it turned out that at the poll a silent majority thought otherwise.

I too thought my dog was p...@property, but it turns out he has trouble expressing himself on the newsgroup. I was disappointed when I put a @property in front of him, and he made his feelings clear by sniffing and then peeing on it.

All joking aside, this isn't the kind of silence I was talking about (and how dare you imply that @property isn't good!). What I mean is people being silent instead of expressing a previously unexplored idea :) The "me too" posts usually come out of the woodwork when a vote is called for. When someone is advocating for my side, I usually hold back until an important point isn't being addressed or an important problem with the opposing view isn't being exploited.

I think that phenomenon has a name in politics (large but not organized majority with interests hurt by a small, focused, and motivated group). Well fortunately that's not the case for us :o).

I agree. I feel the environment here is mostly positive and brings out good ideas from everyone.

-Steve