strtr wrote:
Robert Jacques Wrote:

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:48:20 -0300, strtr <st...@spam.com> wrote:

abcd Wrote:

On the other hand, being an engineer, I use the reals all the time and
want them to stay. I would use the max precision supported by the cpu
then fixed precision like double any day.

-sk
For me it's the exact opposite, reproducibility/portability is key. My problem with real is that I am always afraid my floats get upgraded to them internally somewhere/somehow.
You do realize that the x86 floating point unit _always_ promotes floats and doubles to reals internally? The only way around it is for the compiler to use MMX/SSE unit for everything instead.

Does this mean that float calculations are always off between intel and amd as
intel uses 80bit reals?
(x86 is my target audience)

No, I believe AMD processors also use 80 bits of precision, since they also implement the x86/x87 instruction set.

-Lars