On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 01:52:41 -0300, Robert Jacques <sandf...@jhu.edu> wrote:

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:48:20 -0300, strtr <st...@spam.com> wrote:

abcd Wrote:

On the other hand, being an engineer, I use the reals all the time and
want them to stay. I would use the max precision supported by the cpu
then fixed precision like double any day.

-sk

For me it's the exact opposite, reproducibility/portability is key. My problem with real is that I am always afraid my floats get upgraded to them internally somewhere/somehow.

You do realize that the x86 floating point unit _always_ promotes floats and doubles to reals internally? The only way around it is for the compiler to use MMX/SSE unit for everything instead.

P.S. An implication of this is that using any type other than real results in inconsistent truncation depending on where/when any compiler stores intermediate results outside of the fp.