"Walter Bright" <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:hrfn8q$262...@digitalmars.com...

> 2. Tango having 2 licenses for different parts will confuse people.
>
> This is a reasonable concern. My answer is that we can handle such
> confusion, as both BSD and Boost licenses are simple and well known. It's
> a lot better than the current situation.

I applaud Walter's whole post here, and would like to especially emphasize
my strong agreement on this point in particular. It's absolutely better than
the current state, and although I'm neither a member of the Phobos team nor
the Tango team (nor a lawyer for that matter), after carefully reading all
of the discussion, every side, it is my firm belief that this is the best,
surest, clearest path towards solving the whole issue once and for all. I'll
explain my thoughts:

It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that most of Tango has
been cleared by the respective developers for whatever license change is
decided. The remaining parts can be clearly labeled in the documentation and
source as being "currently under BSD due to an inability to either contact
or obtain permission from the author" (or something to that effect, but more
thought out than my off-the-top-of-my-head example there). Yes, this *is* a
bit inconvenient for both Tango devs and Tango users, *however*, unlike all
other suggestions I've seen (I certainly don't intend to badmouth those
suggestions, though), it provides a real starting point for a clear path out
of the whole mess once-and-for-all: Those "BSD" portions can eventually be
phased-out and/or slowly replaced, or with luck, maybe a few of the
remaining authors can be contacted/persuaded, and meanwhile, the rest of the
D/Phobos/Tango worlds can move on.

Again, yes, it would be a pain for everyone, but every other approach seems
to be a pain too, if not plain unrealistic. The biggest pain of all, of
course, and the longest-lasting pain, would be allowing things to continue
in the direction they've been going.

Although I'm not really a Tango dev, I have submitted small patches of code
in tickets to Tango that did get included, and I've made a few changes to
the Wiki. I seriously doubt any of that has been significant enough to
qualify me as a developer that would need to give any permission, especially
since I've never noticed any request for permission coming my way. But just
in case I'm wrong, and maybe there was an email mixup somewhere, anyone can
consider this to be my official permission for Tango (or Phobos, for that
matter, everyone else willing) to do anything it wants with anything I've
submitted (My DSource/Tango username is "Abscissa"). If anything else is
needed my email username is "nick1" and the domain is semitwist.com. If
there's a problem with that I also have a gmail account named "semitwist".