On 5/3/10 21:03, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Walter Bright"<newshou...@digitalmars.com>  wrote in message
news:hrn5ft$oq...@digitalmars.com...
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
I'm also another person that finds semicolons magically appearing at the
end of statements...even when I use a language that doesn't allow them ;)

It's funny how that works. I was once asked what the key command was for a
particular operation in my text editor. I didn't know, so I started the
editor and did the operation, watching my fingers, and reported the key
command.

I've noticed that a lot in videogames. I never know what button does what,
but after trying a few buttons I get a "feel" for the controls, and on
subsequent plays, I still have no idea what does what, but as soon as I grab
the controller I can just "do" everything. I think most gamers are like this
too.

That is called muscle memory.

There's been mention about this in Scientific Americam Mind recently. Don't
remember exactly which issue or article, but there was a big thing about the
brain's "sense of body ownership", that part of the brain responsible for
it, the implications of it (such as how controls can become second-nature,
such as when driving a car - the brain literally treats it as if it were
part of the body, about the only difference is that a real limb has neurons
that act as a "mini-brain" that can learn - that part wasn't mentioned in
the article, but the Science Channel talked about it once), and the problems
that can arise when this mechanism gets confused (out-of-body experience,
phantom limbs, "disowning" limbs and in some cases assuming the limb to be
"evil" or a communist (I'm not making that up!)).