On Fri, 07 May 2010 11:44:18 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer <schvei...@yahoo.com> wrote:

On Fri, 07 May 2010 11:18:37 -0400, Robert Jacques <sandf...@jhu.edu> wrote:

On Fri, 07 May 2010 11:11:47 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer <schvei...@yahoo.com> wrote:

As I've said before, I think a possible compromise to this is to allow paren-less function calls when the return type is void. These functions cannot be misinterpreted as properties.

I won't go over the other points again :)

-Steve

One of the major uses of paren-less functions is chaining, which always return typeof(this), not void.

It's a compromise. It doesn't do everything you want, but it is good for some of it.

-Steve

This reminds me of a graph I once saw long ago with 4 options:
1) Do what A wants and B is unhappy.
2) Do what B wants and A is unhappy.
3) Compromise and both A and B are unhappy.
4) Create a composite solution and both are happy.
Of course, 4) is really hard. :)