And I think the zip file installation is fine versus using an
installer, in fact I even prefer it.
Ditto. Windows installers always make me nervous -- you're never quite
sure what they're going to do, and what problems they're about to cause.

Hmmm, that's quite a change of attitude since my Windows days. I
remember I wouldn't look twice at an application that didn't come with
an installer.

Andrei

I too prefer the zip file approach. I guess what turned me to it was simplicity of installation (especially if you have limited rights), portability across machines, ease of removal, and it doesn't bloat your registry which, AFAIK, will still slow your machine down since it's read every time you launch a program.

Though, if you package the compiler as a portable app (PortableApps.com), that would be cool too. You get the benefits of an installer and the installation is still unobtrusive.

Casey