On 19/06/2010 20:39, Ben Hanson wrote:
 From memory (Joel did a PDF recently, but that is on my works machine) Joel has
been developing Spirit for over ten years. The latest version is pretty
sophisticated and has all kinds of clever stuff for directly parsing data in
structures all inline etc. Needless to say, I find the whole thing pretty mind
boggling. The biggest problem (as far as I can see as an observer) is the
compile times. This is where D could be really interesting overall (Hartmut has
certainly got his eye on it and in fact I'm sure all the Boost people do).

I ported most of the classic version of spirit to d a while back.
I've recently written a XML parser using it and it takes nearly 7 whole seconds to compile with DMD, which is a vast amount of time compared to rest of the stuff I compile. :)

The most trivial spirit parser in c++ takes over 30 seconds on my machine, even with everything in the pre compiled header. D is just a massive win for productively.

--
My enormous talent is exceeded only by my outrageous laziness.
http://www.ssTk.co.uk