Hello Walter,

Jonathan M Davis wrote:

Unfortunately, in order to be able to use D where I work, I'd have to
be able to link the D code with C/C++ code which has been built with
Visual Studio and its compiler and linker. And, if I understand
correctly, that means that the D code has to be linked with
Microsoft's linker. If that's a misunderstanding on my part, then
linking D with Microsoft's linker would be unnecessary, and dmc
should do the job just fine (though only needing the one C/C++ linker
over two would still be an improvement). But as I understand it, any
C or C++ code which is going to be used with D code in Windows has to
have been built with dmc.

This actually used to be possible with dmc, but Microsoft has
repeatedly changed formats (some of them are secret, too) and I gave
up endlessly chasing those changes.

Would you be open to allowing semi official builds of DMD? That would be have builds of DMD that use the official DMD code base except for an object file generator mainland by someone else. It seems that would be a clean separation point that shouldn't break to often and you already have, what, 4 different versions now?

A good build system should make this an almost no effort proposition on your part: you develop as normal and whenever you do a release, the other versions would get built, tested and if they pass, posted to the site, if not, the owners (not you) get contacted.

--
... <IXOYE><