On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:25:15 -0400, Adam Ruppe <destructiona...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is brought up somewhat often on this group. Problem with throwing
an exception in a segfault is that it is undefined behavior in POSIX.

So? Are we worried about damaging our well-running program after it encounters a seg fault?

If 99.9% of the time, throwing an exception works on a segfault (which it should on a null pointer access), and every once in a while, it just crashes without a trace, I think we'd be much better off.

I personally think even if we don't throw an exception, but print a full stack trace, that would be fine. Limit the stack trace to N frames to prevent an infinite loop when stack corruption has occurred, and I think we'd be good to go.

-Steve