On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 01:05:45 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a...@a.a> wrote:

"Walter Bright" <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:i69fr8$2cb...@digitalmars.com...

In introducing such subtle distortion, Metallica runs the risk of being
labeled a band with lousy sound.

IIRC, A lot of Metallica fans felt they had started putting out "lousy
sound" back around the "Load" and "Reload" albums. And that was before CD
DRM.

Load was the beginning of the downhill slide. There are a couple alright songs, but all albums before that were filled with good songs. Reload was utter crap (Unforgiven 2? Really!???). St. Anger I never really liked, although I've heard that some people like it. It's not my style, but you can't really say it was Metallica "selling out".

Death Magnetic is a complete return to their original style. I feel some of the solos are rehashed, but there is a lot of good stuff on there.

-Steve