On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 17:29 -0400, hismastersvoice wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Why don't you both cut that shit out and go play to the kindergarten? No one
> has to study any stupid functional language, especially toys like that Alice.
> How stupid is the name anyway? Oz? Alice? WTF

I certainly agree with your first sentence:  the standard of posting on
this list by some people is getting worse than appalling.  Dreadful
language, nigh on offensive comments made in an off-hand and disparaging
manner.  Whatever happened to respect and courtesy?

Sadly you then ruin it in your second sentence.  Whichever language you
use to program in in a day-to-day sense, learning how to program in all
of Lisp, Haskell, C, Java, Python, Alice, Ruby, D, Scala, C++, OCaml,
Fortran, Groovy, Prolog, etc. makes you a better programmer in the
language you are using.  This is not wishful thinking or a condescending
"hand down" statement, there is repeatable, evidential data -- the
psychology of programming folk have been doing experiments on these
issues for 25 years and more, and consistently finding that knowing how
to program well in multiple computational models makes you a better
programmer in your language of choice.

So do study functional languages even if you are programming using D, it
will help your D usage.  If not Alice, then Clojure, Haskell, OCaml,
Scheme -- pick one, or more.  Write some code in those languages, and
see that it helps you think different about how to write D code.  Your D
programming will get better.

> And stop posting one liners. Like we now latin? Not every one is university
> educated.

What I find irritating is people who do not edit the quoted reply when
making their one-line response.  To have pages and pages of quote to
trawl through to get to the one-liner is what should not happen.

Oh and being university educated doesn't mean you know (note spelling)
Latin (note capitalization, the name of the language is a proper noun
and hence capitalized).

Yours, looking forward to a higher standard of posting by everyone,

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net