On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 15:51:23 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

I suggest wrapping a char[] or wchar[] (of all constancies) with a
special range that imposes the restrictions.

I did so. It was called byDchar and it would accept a string type. It
sucked.

char[] and wchar[] are special. They embed their UTF affiliation in
their type. I don't think we should make a wash of all that by
handling them as arrays. They are not arrays.

The compiler thinks they are. And they look like arrays (T[] looks like
an array to me no matter what T is). And I *want* an array of characters
in most cases. If you want a special type for strings, make them a
special type.

D should not have this schizophrenic view of strings. Plus it strikes me
as extremely unclean and bloated for every algorithm that might have a
range of char's passed into it to treat it specially (ignoring what the
compiler says).

It would do wrong or useless things otherwise. I'd probably do some things differently if I started over, but given the circumstances I think std.algorithm does the best it could ever do with strings.