On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 05:51:19 -0500, Jacob Carlborg <d...@me.com> wrote:

Of course that would be the preferred way, there should have been some kind of agreement for this (maybe there was but never fulfilled?) But you also have to look at it from Tangos point of view. Why would Tango drop support for anything that isn't DMD 32bit? Or should Tango keep half of it's runtime in it's own repository and for the other half use druntime.

I think this is the whole point of Jacob's that is being missed -- Tango supports LDC, GDC, and DMD, and druntime supports only DMD. When druntime first was developed, it was a clone of Tango's runtime, but only with dmd support. I can't remember why support for the other compilers was removed, but I don't think it was malicious in nature, I think it was a point of maintenance or lack of ownership. I would expect that if someone wanted to support druntime for Tango (BTW, the D1 branch is still in druntime, just 2 years old) with LDC and GDC support, I don't think Sean would object. But I can't speak for Sean...

But this aside, there was never any point for Tango to adopt druntime -- phobos 1 was not going to adopt it, and Tango is not going to be ported to D2. Compatibility is an academic pipe dream that will never occur.

-Steve