On 11/26/10 12:22 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

But more importantly, there is a simple solution: don't write such code,
don't use arrays like if they are lists, preallocate instead and then
fill the array. So with this alternative behavior, you can still write
efficient code, and nearly as easily.

I disagree. Often you don't know the length to preallocate (e.g. input
is from a file etc). The fact that there's a convenient append operator
only makes things more in favor of supporting such idioms. The technique
(exponential capacity growth) is well known.

The only advantage of the current behavior is that it is more noob
friendly, which is an advantage of debatable value.

I don't think the current behavior favors noobs.

Andrei

You could still do exponential capacity growth by manipulating the length property, but yeah, that would create a host of complexity and other issues (see my reply to Pelle). Yeah, my reasoning was really broken. :'(

(I need some R&R, lol)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer