"Michael Stover" <michael.r.sto...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1034.1292441124.21107.digitalmar...@puremagic.com...
> >And no, I'm *not* playing semantics games here: "Distributed via the
> web" means exactly what it means
>
> Of course you're playing semantic games.  Not being very helpful in the
> discussion.  You seem to be arguing that if the content arrived via "http"
> it must work in lynx or else it "sucks".

Not at all. In fact that blatantly contradicts what I just pointed out.
Things like DMD, certain OSes, etc, all arrive via http (or ftp, whatever,
like that matters) and yet, like I said, they're obviously not what we're
talking about when we're talking about web apps.

Secondly, I'm not the one that brought up Lynx. Although if there's
something that clearly doesn't need graphics and such to be useful, then
yes, it absolutely should work on Lynx. Apps obviously shouldn't require
things they don't need: My DB shouldn't require I have a webcam installed.
Grep shouldn't require an email client. Making a backup shouldn't require
OpenGL or a printer. Submitting a form or downloading a PDF shouldn't
require JS or HTML images. Viewing information on an official county probate
court website shouldn't require Flash (I've actually seen that, and I'd be
very surprised if it doesn't violate multiple government-mandated
accessibility requirements). Etc.