On 12/15/10 9:32 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
For a spreadsheet, I'd output the data in an html table. Now all users can at
least view the saved document, with no extra effort from you.

You are confusing the web application and the data it operates on here – of course, a spreadsheet application should provide some means to export the tables you created with it in an easily accessible format, e.g. HTML or PDF. But this piece of data created by the exporting routines of the web application is not linked to the application itself per se…

Although e.g. whether you want to rely on storing and processing your data (at least partly) on some server cluster you have no control over is an entirely different question worth to be discussed in detail, I don't quite see how lack of graceful degradation can be a valid argument against web applications – or have you ever tried running the latest Microsoft Office suite on Windows 3.11?

David