Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Using IMAP solves the problem, since then the mail is safely on a server somewhere rather on your own computer. It also has the advantage of making it possible to sync state between machines. It does mean, however, that you have to be deal with an e-mail account which is IMAP-capable.

I prefer to have control over my email database, and not rely on some remote server that may go dark at any moment, or that may sell my email database to anyone.

Having my old emails has saved me countless $$$$ over the years.

You wouldn't believe how many times companies (even large ones!) have lost the contracts I made with them, and I had to go back through the emails and forward them copies.