On 12/19/10 6:26 AM, retard wrote:
Sat, 18 Dec 2010 16:01:37 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

Simen kjaeraas wrote:
The problem of D's lambda syntax is it is optimized for longer
functions. Usually, the delegates I write are one line long. I cannot
see that this syntax collides with anything at the moment, but feel
free to enlighten me:

{ =>  4; }
{ a =>  2*a; }
{ a, b =>  a>b; }
{ =>  @ + @; } // turns into { a, b =>  a + b; }

If size and simplicity of typing are critical, are those really better
than:

    "a>b"

In case you didn't see, two additional problems were also listed earlier
in this thread:

  - template bloat (different strings generate new instances of the sort
in the sorting example)

This can be solved by using a canonicalizer before passing to unaryFun. I considered doing that, but delayed implementing it to when this would actually become a problem.

  - symbol visibility problems because of wrong scoping

Scoping is not wrong, it's just different :o). I agree that that can be an issue - in which case you take the enormous hit of writing (a, b) { stmts }, of which the proposals passionately discussed within save a grand total of around four characters.

Again: to what extent does this help on becoming able to do what you want to do in D, and where is implementing this ranked in comparison to the other work items?