Andreas Mayer wrote:
Or is D, unlike I thought, not suitable for high performance computing? What
should I do?

I notice you are using doubles in D. dmd currently uses the x87 to evaluate doubles, and on some processors the x87 is slow relative to using the XMM instructions. Also, dmd's back end doesn't align the doubles on 16 byte boundaries, which can also slow down the floating point on some processors.

Both of these code gen issues with dmd are well known, and I'd like to solve them after we address higher priority issues.

If it's not clear, I'd like to emphasize that these are compiler issues, not D language issues.