On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 19:45:54 -0500, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Any other ideas?

Garbage collection tends to break down when you have enormous blocks of memory allocated - 200Mb certainly qualifies.

I suggest breaking up the data structure into smaller pieces, like making it an array of arrays.

This doesn't help. The requirement is that it is one contiguous piece of memory.

I don't know if we can solve the GC problems (although it seems that is all people want to talk about here), I was wondering if we can provide a library/language supported solution to enable better manual memory management in these extreme circumstances.

-Steve