On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:57:36 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

I've been thinking on how to better deal with Unicode strings. Currently strings are formally bidirectional ranges with a surreptitious random access interface. The random access interface accesses the support of the string, which is understood to hold data in a variable-encoded format. For as long as the programmer understands this relationship, code for string manipulation can be written with relative ease. However, there is still room for writing wrong code that looks legit.

Sometimes the best way to tackle a hairy reality is to invite it to the negotiation table and offer it promotion to first-class abstraction status. Along that vein I was thinking of defining a new range: VLERange, i.e. Variable Length Encoding Range. Such a range would have the power somewhere in between bidirectional and random access.

The primitives offered would include empty, access to front and back, popFront and popBack (just like BidirectionalRange), and in addition properties typical of random access ranges: indexing, slicing, and length. Note that the result of the indexing operator is not the same as the element type of the range, as it only represents the unit of encoding.

In addition to these (and connecting the two), a VLERange would offer two additional primitives:

1. size_t stepSize(size_t offset) gives the length of the step needed to skip to the next element.

2. size_t backstepSize(size_t offset) gives the size of the _backward_ step that goes to the previous element.

In both cases, offset is assumed to be at the beginning of a logical element of the range.

I suspect that a lot of functions in std.string can be written without Unicode-specific knowledge just by relying on such an interface. Moreover, algorithms can be generalized to other structures that use variable-length encoding, such as those used in data compression. (In that case, the support would be a bit array and the encoded type would be ubyte.)

Writing to such ranges is not addressed by this design. Ideas are welcome.

Adding VLERange would legitimize strings and would clarify their handling, at the cost of adding one additional concept that needs to be minded. Is the trade-off worthwhile?

While this makes it possible to write algorithms that only accept VLERanges, I don't think it solves the major problem with strings -- they are treated as arrays by the compiler.

I'd also rather see an indexing operation return the element type, and have a separate function to get the encoding unit. This makes more sense for generic code IMO.

I noticed you never commented on my proposed string type...

That reminds me, I should update with suggested changes and re-post it.

-Steve