jim_g Wrote:

> What I tried to say is, in my opinion, a language with only a half or a
> quarter of D's improvements over C++ would be more successful on
> smartphone/tablet platforms than yet another x86 oriented language, no matter
> how good. The killer feature is to be in the right place and the right time.

That's clearly not true. D is a revolutionary new language. It's supposed to
replace most of the mainstream language including C/C++, C#, Objective C, and
Java. The scripting capabilities also make D a good competitor for the
notorious Python, leading to several orders of magnitude better performance
than slow VM languages give. We have a Python fan (bearphile) in this mailing
list who has several times shown how D outperforms Python (which probably is
the fastest scripting language).

D's main focus currently is 32-bit x86 servers and desktop applications. This
is where the big market has traditionally been. Not everyone has 64-bit
hardware and I have my doubts about the size of the smartphone markets. The
modern iterators, streams, and XML processing in Phobos 2 help in these a lot.
D is also fully open source which means it's a perfect replacement for open
source frameworks (Qt).

 - G.W.