For a while we've espoused the strategy of keeping std.xml in Phobos
until something better comes along.

But recently we've started to rethink that.

Pretty much everyone who tries std.xml ends up disappointed. Anyone who
wants to bash D has std.xml as an easy pick. Anyone who looks at speed
comparisons sees std.xml there like a sore thumb. Finally, the mere
existence of a package, no matter how inadequate, stifles the initiative
of others working on it.

This all makes std.xml a net liability. It's not better than nothing;
it's worse than nothing.

Should we nuke it?

Andrei

What about ...
http://dsource.org/projects/xmlp

well documented, well tested, reasonable speed.

But I think std.xml is not the biggest problem.
Problem #1 The chaotic non-managed way phobos evolves.

Problem #2 Ignorance respective ignoring good stuff. What about adding BCS's units ? Problem #3 Andrei's range obsession. Andrei : Please show a pure range based implementation of, say, a Map. The basic ADT is already in place.

I got more and more the feeling that the D2 monster was made just for ranges. The smart and elegant D1 design is definitely dead an gone. I think I am not the only one who would prefer a D1 plus instead of D2.
bjoern