On 03/01/2011 20:53, Daniel Gibson wrote:
Am 02.01.2011 05:00, schrieb Walter Bright:
Caligo wrote:
You don't get it! If only one back-end was used then there wouldn't be
three different groups working on three different projects that try to
accomplish the same thing.

Back when there was only one D compiler, people complained there was
only one. They needed more to feel comfortable using it. Now that there
are three, the complaints switch 180 degrees.

It's just different (kinds of) people complaining ;-)

Indeed. But also, and in all fairness, I think some of the people that complained there was only one compiler, had in mind the desire to have a *different* implementation of a D compiler (this would be helpful, for example, to validate the "specification" of the D language). But that is not what we have, all current three compilers are based on DMD.

(note: I'm not implying having more compiler implementations is an important thing right now, or in the near future)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer