On 02/05/2011 11:00 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
Transparent buffering sounds sensible but in fact it robs you of important
>  capabilities. It essentially forces you to use grammars with lookahead 1
>  for all input operations. Being able to peek forward into the stream
>  without committing to read from it allows you to e.g. do operations like
>  "does this stream start with a specific word" etc. As soon

That shouldn't be a problem for the cases where a lookahead of 1 is all
that's needed. So both types can exist (with the traditional/automatic type
most likely built on top of Andrei's type). Thus, I think the only question
is "Are the appropriate use-cases for the traditional/automatic type minor
enough and infrequent enough to actively discourage it by not providing it?"
That I can't answer.

And what about backtracking (eg for parsing the source)?

Denis
--
vita es estrany