Jim:

> I rarely need to go that low-level.

Two times I have had D1 code that was too much slow compared to equivalent C
code. After profiling and some changes I have understood that the cause was an
important missing inline. With a list of the inlined functions (as done by
CommonLisp some compilers, see the enhancement request in Bugzilla), this
search becomes quicker.

> My hope is that the compiler will sort this out in the end. Give it some
> time, or effort to have these optimizations implemented in the compiler.

The LLVM back-end of LDC is able to inline much more, but even here a list of
inlined/not inlined functions helps. D is almost a system language, so
sometimes you need to go lower level (or you just need a program that's not too
much slow).

Bye,
bearophile