On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:50:21 -0500, Nick Sabalausky <a@a.a> wrote:

"Nick Sabalausky" <a@a.a> wrote in message
news:ijesem$brd$1...@digitalmars.com...
"Steven Schveighoffer" <schvei...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.vqx78nkceav7ka@steve-laptop...

size_t works, it has a precedent, it's already *there*, just use it, or
alias it if you  don't like it.

One could make much the same argument about the whole of C++. It works, it
has a precedent, it's already *there*, just use it.

The whole reason I came to D was because, at the time, D was more interested in fixing C++'s idiocy than just merely aping C++ as the theme seems to be
now.

Nick, this isn't a feature, it's not a design, it's not a whole language, it's a *single name*, one which is easily changed if you want to change it.

module nick;

alias size_t wordsize;

Now you can use it anywhere, it's sooo freaking simple, I don't understand the outrage.

BTW, what I meant about it's already there is that any change to the size_t name would have to have some benefit besides "it's a different name" because it will break any code that currently uses it. If this whole argument is to just add another alias, then I'll just stop reading this thread since it has no point.

-Steve