On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 16:32:55 -0000, Lars T. Kyllingstad <public@kyllingen.nospamnet> wrote:
The only disagreement seems to be about the naming, so let's have a round
of voting.  Here are a few alternatives for each function.  Please say
which ones you prefer.

 * dirSeparator, dirSep, sep
 * currentDirSymbol, currentDirSym, curDirSymbol
 * basename, baseName, filename, fileName
 * dirname, dirName, directory, getDir, getDirName
 * drivename, driveName, drive, getDrive, getDriveName
 * extension, ext, getExt, getExtension
 * stripExtension, stripExt

Is it just me that feels dirName and getDirName are ambiguous?

i.e. in the path:
  c:\temp\folder\name\file.ext

There are 3 directories:
 - Their "names" are 'temp', 'folder' and 'name'
 - Their "paths" are c:\temp, c:\temp\folder and c:\temp\folder\name

It's the reason I think baseName is clearer than fileName, with fileName you're not sure if it means the complete/full filename including directories or just the filename itself, with or without extension. baseName (perhaps once you're used to the idea of it) implies the shorter form. In fact.. why not call baseName on directories too, to remove the leading path components.

e.g.

getDir("c:\temp\folder\name\file.ext")           -> "c:\temp\folder\name"
baseName(getDir("c:\temp\folder\name\file.ext")) -> "name"