2011/3/18 Jesse Phillips <jessekphillip...@gmail.com>:
> Russel Winder Wrote:
>> At the expense of easy system administration.
> Specifics? It allows for one packaging system across all operating systems.
> This means you don't need to figure out how to package your source in RPM,
> Deb, ipgk, arc, emerge, zip, or whatever else Linux has.

For the developer, yes. For the user, it just means that you have to
learn N different packaging systems, which not uncommonly cause
conflicts, for instance in language-bindings conflicting with "native"
libraries.

I know of at least one company that were quite serious about migrating
their webapps from Java to Ruby/rails, but after a while cancelled due
to just those packaging issues with gems creating weird conflicts and
silent errors when bindings were complied slightly differently from
the native C-lib.

----
For the record, their apps were designed for deployment on Ubuntu
Server, which at the time had native support for almost all
Java-related packages, but less wide support for Ruby. The situation
have changed a little since then, and quite a lot of Ruby-packages are
now in native Ubuntu.